Necessity is the mother of all inventions, they say. This adage was proven true when Krishna Kumar created AgTech start-up, CropIn Technologies in 2010. The idea for providing SaaS based services to agribusinesses came to Kumar after perceiving the plight of local farmers who were facing a problem of salvaging crops that used to rot on a regular basis. Taking a resolution on farmers’ suicides and agrarian crisis, Kumar left his high rising career and roped in his childhood friend, Kunal Prasad and set up CropIn Technologies Solutions– an agriculture technology solutions start-up that would address several pain points of hundreds of farmers across the country.
Today, CropIn has digitized over 1 million acres of farmlands, enriching lives of over 500,000 farmers. With the vision to maximize per acre value and the mission to make every farm traceable, the ag-tech provider aims to work in line with the PM’s vision of Digital India to double farmer income by 2022. In its seven years of operations, CropIn has garnered the trust and partnership of clientele globally which includes McCain, Mahindra, Mars, IDH, Marico, Tata, Godfrey Phillips, McCain, IFB Agro, ITC, ICICI Lombard, BigBasket, Welspun, World Bank and many more. CropIn has been awarded with the illustrious Mobile for Good Awards 2014 by the Vodafone Foundation and Flame Awards Asia 2017 for its continuing and perseverant efforts in the AgTech arena.
The company brings in cutting-edge technologies – Big Data analytics, Artificial Intelligence, Geo-tagging & Satellite monitoring to interconnect all the stakeholders at different levels of the agriculture ecosystem. CropIn provides SaaS based services to agribusinesses in India and other developing nations; enabling clients to analyze & interpret data and derive real time actionable insights on standing crop and projects spanning geographies.
According to the CEO & Founder Krishna Kumar, as the world population crosses the 10 billion mark -by the middle of this century- agtech techniques for sustainable food feed fibre are becoming imperative. “Technology and Data Driven approach will help ag-businesses become more efficient and respond to the challenges and opportunities of the future. Sooner or later all stakeholders in this ecosystem will need to take conscious steps to solve the larger challenges of food security, sustainability, traceability etc.”
CropIn’s solutions which are crop and region agnostic help monitor farm efficiency, track sales, improve financial, operational and agronomical aspects, and connect farms to warehouses and end users, thus bringing in great visibility, traceability & predictability in all farming operations; people and processes. CropIn’s SaaS based system is not a one-time intervention but a sustainable solution.
With a robust range of products, CropIn largely works on a B2B business model, catering to agricultural businesses at different levels of the agri-ecosystem. The product portfolio includes:
- SmartFarm: An award winning robust & flexible farm management solution which enables complete digitization of farms, empowers data-driven decision-making, and provides complete visibility of people, processes and performance on the field. It ensures management of standard package of practices, adherence to compliance and certification, pest and crop health management.
- SmartRisk: An agri-business intelligence solution that leverages agri-alternate data and provides risk mitigation and forecasting for effective credit risk assessment and loan recovery assistance. Proprietary machine learning algorithm built on satellite and weather data is used to give insights at plot and region level.
- Mwarehouse: A Comprehensive solution for pack house, processing & export companies that enables Farm to fork traceability & compliance, quality control and flexible inventory management.
- SmartSales: A comprehensive CRM & input channel management solution, that helps predict and improve sales and ensures end-to end performance management of sales team
- AcreSquare: A unique farmer application that helps companies interact directly with their farmers, share content, educate them and provide consultation, thus enabling companies to extend the power of technology for their farmers and build farmer loyalty.
CropIn believes in the idea of democratizing data for all stakeholders, connecting the entire ecosystem through a common platform and benefiting different stakeholders via data driven farming. In its seventh year of operation, CropIn aims to expand its foot print in other developing countries and position itself as a global leader in agtech.